Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Shel Silverstein


I grew up on Shel Silverstein and am always horrified to find out not everyone was. Where the Sidewalk Ends is another book that I have given as a gift countless times, because I hope it will delight others as much as it continues to delight me. He is banned because at one time he wrote for playboy, or people were afraid children would do the silly things he describes in his poems, like break dishes to avoid having to wash them.
When I was little, my mother would read a few poems to me before bed. My favorite was "The Worst," which I begged her to read over and over. It's a description of a big, ugly monster, and the last line is "And he's standing right behind you!" She would build the anticipation up, then say that line very loudly and quickly, pointing over my shoulder. I screamed and jumped every single time. She read it to me again when I was in high school and I couldn't help screaming once again. I couldn't help myself, I still love the poem.
--Mary Broussard

No comments: